★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3/4 c
- all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp
- 2/4 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- cold butter, diced
- 2-3 Tbsp
- ice water, as needed
- 6 c
- mixture of, fresh or frozen, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.
- 1/3 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Bumbleberry Pandowdy
- 1Whisk flour and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add ice water by the tablespoonful, mixing with a fork until it forms a mass that will hold together. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 2Toss the berries with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Pour into a buttered 8 or 9" baking dish.
- 3Roll the chilled dough to size of baking dish, cover the fruit and tuck the overhanging dough into the dish. Make 8-10 slits in the dough to vent steam. Place on a cookie sheet to catch drips.
- 4Bake 400 degrees, 30 minutes. Remove from oven and "dowdy" by cutting the crust into 2" squares. Press into the bubbling fruit until halfway submerged.
- 5Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake 30-40 minutes, until browned and bubbling. Cool 20-30 minutes before serving.