Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 3 c
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 1/2 c
- granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- 1 c
- salted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest (i have successfully used lime, if that was the fresh citrus i had on hand)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice (again, fresh lime can be used if that is what you have)
- 4 c
- fresh blueberries (2 pts) you can use frozen, but the middle is a little wetter and you will need a little extra cornstarch. fresh is best for this recipe
How to Make Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 9x13 baking dish, set aside
- 2In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Add beaten egg and cold butter cubes to flour mixture and using a fork or a pastry cutter (or even your fingertips, or two table knives),cut mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gently press 2/3 of the mixture evenly into prepared 9x13 dish.
- 3In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 4 tsp cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice then add blueberries. Toss mixture to evenly coat then pour and spread coated blueberries evenly over crust in baking dish. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over berry layer (I pressed some of the mixture together in my hands while sprinkling to make larger crumbs). Sprinkle (optional) Turbinado sugar evenly over top.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for about 38 - 42 minutes until top is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 20 - 30 minutes before cutting into squares (or serve warm with vanilla ice cream, yum). Store bars in an airtight container in refrigerator. (You may want to bring them up to room temp before serving, though.) I wrapped each in a little slice of waxed paper to keep them from mooshing together.