Baked Spiced Apples
Something that I have been substituting is Sunkist Blends in place of the nuts. Take 3/4-1c and pulse it in a food processor a few times to get a nice chopped product.
4granny smith apples
1/2 chazelnuts (or almonds or walnuts or pecans), chopped
2 tspbaking spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, and ginger)
1 Tbspbrown sugar
·apple cider or juice
How to Make Baked Spiced Apples
- Slice the apples in half and core. Then remove a thin slice on the bottom of each half, allowing the apples to sit flat*. Place in baking pan.
- Drizzle honey over the apples.
- Mix the chopped hazelnuts, brown sugar, and baking spice, and sprinkle over apples and into the baking pan.
- Add apple cider (or juice) into the pan, so the apples soak in a half inch pool of spiced goodness.
- Finally, top each apple with a dab of butter.
- Bake at 375F (190C) until topping is browned and apples are softened.
It is important to slice the bottom of the apple halves, so the spiced juice can find its way into the apples to add flavor and to ensure it cooks evenly.
Serve as a side to a pork dish, and baste apples and pork with the spiced juice. Or as a dessert topped with sugarless, fresh vanilla bean whipped cream.