- 6 pink lady apples
- 2 tbsp. butter, diced
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- caramel sauce, sliced almonds, ground cinnamon, optional
How to Make Baked Apples
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Peel the top third of each apple. Using a melon baller, carefully scoop out apple core and pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell. Don't cut through bottom of apple.Put apples upright in 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Drop butter evenly into apples
- 2In small pan, mix brown sugar, juice, salt, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or til sugar dissolves
- 3Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly; remove and reserve cinnamon sticks.
Pour syrup evenly over apples.Put reserved cinnamon sticks in apples. Bake, basting as needed for 45 minutes or til apples are tender but still hold their shape. Let cool slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, and garnish with caramel sauce, sliced almonds and ground cinnamon if desired.