Apricots with Amaretto Syrup
Geoffry Le Cher
2 Tbspunsalted butter
2/3 cdisaronno amaretto liqueur
1/3 cdisaronno amaretto liqueur
3biscotti, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
2 Tbsptoasted pine nuts for garnish
How to Make Apricots with Amaretto Syrup
- Combine water and 2/3 cup Amaretto, mix well and soak apricots in liquid for 6-8 hours (or overnight).
- The next day…
- Drain apricots and reserve liquid.
- Heat butter in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, and then cook sugar, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Stir in reserved liquid (be careful; syrup will spatter) and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, poach apricot halves in syrup at a low simmer, turning, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer apricots, hollow sides up, to a platter.
- Add additional 1/3 cup Amaretto liqueur, over low heat. (Be careful that the mixture does not ignite!)
- Add crumbled biscotti to syrup and cook over low heat, crushing cookies with back of a wooden spoon, until melted into a coarse purée.
- Gently simmer, stirring, until syrup is deep brown and slightly thickened. Cool syrup slightly.
- Spoon syrup over apricots and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.