Mary Ann Thompson
1 call purpose flour
1/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cbutter, cold
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 Tbsplemon juice
1/3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 cwalnuts, chopped
2/3 cdried apricots, finely slivered
·powdered sugar to roll bars in
How to Make Apricot Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan.
- To make crust: In medium bowl, stir together the 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until particles are fine.
- Pat over the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, but do not turn the oven off.
- Prepare fruit topping while crust is baking.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add the 1 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, 1/3 cup flour and baking powder. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the walnuts and apricots.
- Spread over the hot baked layer and return to hot oven. Bake approximately 25 minutes or until browned.
- Loosen edges while still warm, but cool completely before cutting into bars. (I cut them into very small bars, approximately 1 inch squares.)
- Roll in powdered sugar. Store loosely in a closed container.