Apple Pecan Dumplings with Orange Sauce
1/2 clight brown sugar packed
3/4 csugar divided
2 Tbspbroken pecans
4 mediumcooking apples
2-3 Tbspcold margarine
1 Tbspall purpose flour
3 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 ccold lard or shortening
7-8 Tbspice water or cold club soda or lemon lime soda
How to Make Apple Pecan Dumplings with Orange Sauce
- To make shells combine the 3 cups of flour and salt. Cut in lard or shortening to make a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of cold soda, tossing with a fork to mix. Repeat until flour is moistened and can be pressed into a ball. Wrap ball in plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Grate 2 tbsp orange peel. Squeeze orange juice and measure and add water to make 1 cup. In a saucepan, mix 1/2 cup of each sugar (brown and white) with the other Tbsp of flour. Add Grated orange peel and juice. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and clears. About 3 minutes
- Pare, core and cut apples into 3 horizontal slices. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Cut cold butter into 6 pieces.
- Roll pastry to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 6 seven inch squares. Place 1 apple slice on each. Sprinkle 1 tsp. cinnamon sugar on each. Top with 2nd apple slice. Press 1 piece butter into center of apples. Sprinkle again with cinnamon sugar.
- Brush pastry edges with water. Wrap around apples and pinch to seal. Place dumplings in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325.
- Spoon some of the orange sauce over dumplings. Bake 10 minutes. Spoon over more sauce. Bake 10 minutes. Repeat sprinkling with pecans. Bake an additional 15 minutes