1/4 cgranulated white sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
2 Tbspbutter, softened, divided
1/8 tspground nutmeg
1/4 cgranulated brown sugar
1/4 tspgroud cinnamon
1roled refrigerated pie crust ( from a 15-ounce package)
4small or 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled and cored (see note)
How to Make Apple Dumplings
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, white sugar, vanilla, 1 tablespoon butter, and the nutmeg over high heat. Bring to a boil for 1 minute; set aside.
- In a small bowlk combine the brown sugar cinnamon, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; mix well.
- Unroll pastry and cut into quarters. Stuff each apple cavity with an equal amount of brown sugar mixture and place on a pastry quarter. Fold pastry up around apples and pinch ends together to completely enclose apples. Place dumplings seam-side down in an 8-inch square baking dish and pour sugar sauce over the top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, drizzled with sugar glaze from bottom of baking dish.
- Notes: Small apples work great for this recipe but they're not always available, so go ahead and use the regular-sized ones cut in half.