Rice Pudding (Charley’s 517)
- 1 1/4 qt
- 2 c
- heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2/3 c
- long-grain white rice
- 2/3 c
- white sugar
- 1/8 tsp
- 2 tsp
- vanilla (or 1 split vanilla bean)
- 3 large
- egg yolks
- 1/3 c
- dark raisins (or golden if desired)
- 3 Tbsp
- dark rum (for soaking raisins)
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
RICH AND CREAMY RICE PUDDING
How to Make Rice Pudding (Charley’s 517)
- 1Combine half-and-half with 1 ½ cups of whipping cream in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in rice, sugar, salt and vanilla bean if using (add vanilla extract after removing from heat). Place pan over moderate low heat and stir continuously bringing mixture to a boil. Do not let it boil over. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently until as thick as oatmeal (about 35 minutes). Stir constantly during last 10 minutes to prevent sticking. Remove pan from heat.
- 2Whisk egg yolks in large bowl and gradually add about 1 cup of pudding (to temper eggs) then, add to rest of pudding. (If using vanilla extract, stir it in). Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on pudding. Chill over night.
- 3Whip remaining ½ cup of whipping cream until stiff and carefully fold into the chilled rice pudding.
Drain raisins and sprinkle with cinnamon. Spoon into individual bowls or fold into entire pudding.