Old Fashioned Sweet-Potato Pudding
- 2 lb
- (3 large) sweet potatoes peeled and shredded or cut into chunks for the food processor
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- 6 Tbsp
- 4 large
- egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp
- plus 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 large
- 2 c
- cream or evaporated milk (not skimmed)
How to Make Old Fashioned Sweet-Potato Pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 2 1/2 to 3 quart, 2 1/2 to 3 inch deep baking dish.
- 2In a food processor, finely chop sweet potatoes in batches (you should have about 6 cups). Scrape into a large bowl.
- 3Put in remaining ingredients, except 1 cup of the cream, into food processor, and process, until blended.
- 4Pour over sweet potatoes. Add remaining cup of cream, and stir, until well blended. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- 5Bake 20 minutes, then stir mixture near edge, to the middle. Bake 15 minutes longer, then stir again. Bake 25-30 minutes longer, until top is lightly browned, and custard is firm.
- 6Serve hot or at room temperature. Serves 12. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. To reheat, cover, and bake in 325°F oven, for 35 minutes.)
Nutrition: 388 cal, 18 g fat, 161 mg chol, 324 mg sod, 54 g carb, 4 g protein.
Exchg: 1 Starch/Bread, 2 2/3 Fruit, 3 1/2 Fat
Save 80 cal. and 12 g fat per serving by using evaporated milk.