Flan Mexicano (Mexican Flan)
1 cwhite sugar
1 cwhole milk
1 (14) ozcan sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cfreshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbspgrated orange peel
1 Tbspvanilla extract
1 cheavy cream
How to Make Flan Mexicano (Mexican Flan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar melts and turns a golden amber color, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully once syrup begins to change color, because it burns easily. Carefully pour the melted sugar syrup into a flan mold. Let cool.
- Pour whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, egg yolks, orange juice, orange peel, vanilla extract, and cornstarch into a blender, and blend for a minute or so, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in the cream, and pulse several times to incorporate the cream. Pour the mixture over the cooled caramel syrup in the flan mold.
- Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place the flan mold on the towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack.
- Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the center of the flan is set but still slightly jiggly when moved, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let the flan cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, run a sharp paring knife around the inside of the mold to release the flan. Invert a plate on the mold, flip the mold over, and gently remove the mold to unmold the flan and reveal the syrupy caramel topping.