Creamy Rice Pudding
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I remember eating rice pudding as a kid, but it was never as creamy as this! I loved how this has a sweet custard-like consistency. And it's a snap to make. The Test Kitchen
How to Make Creamy Rice Pudding
- Bring water and rice to a boil and cook until almost all of water has been absorbed.
- Stir in cornstarch and salt.
- Add half and half and bring to a boil, cooking over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. While butter is melting, mix together egg yolks and sugar in a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Add hot rice mixture a little at a time to the egg yolk sugar mixture, stirring after each addition. I add about 1 cup of the hot rice mixture to bring the temperature of the egg/sugar mixture up so that the eggs don't scramble when you add it back into the pot of rice. This step is called tempering the eggs.
- Pour the egg/sugar/rice mixture from the measuring cup back into the pot and stir. Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil one minute.
- Remove from heat and pour rice pudding into a bowl to cool. Serve warm or refrigerate.