Cranberry Dreamsicle Trifle
3 1/2 ccranberries, frozen or fresh
1/2 corange juice
2 1/2 cmilk
1 Tbsporange zest
1 tsppure vanilla extract
3 largeegg yolks
3 Tbsporange juice
1pound cake 16 oz.
1 1/2 cwhipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
How to Make Cranberry Dreamsicle Trifle
- 1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and orange juice is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to use, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
- Whisk together milk and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup milk mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth. Pour yolk mixture into warm milk mixture in pan, whisking until blended. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Transfer to a bowl, and place plastic wrap directly on mixture (to prevent film from forming). Chill 30 minutes to 3 days.
- Cut pound cake into 1-inch cubes. Layer one-third cake cubes in a 2.5-qt. trifle dish. Top with one-third each orange pastry cream, cranberry mixture, and whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- I sugared some fresh cranberries and made milk chocolate curls to use for garnish. Southern Living garnished theirs with white chocolate curls and rosemary sprigs. Garnish however you like.