Chocolate Bread Pudding
We normally celebrate Valentine's Day with a simple dinner out somewhere, but I knew this time there wasn't enough money for that special dinner.
I wanted to do something special just to show him that I knew we were going to make it through this crisis and that I had faith in him as a provider. I knew he loved bread pudding so I asked a friend of mine if she had a good recipe for bread pudding. This is what she gave me.
I added the chocolate and voila!
- 1 - 2
- loaves of french bread, cut into 1" cubes (about 12 cups)
- 3 c
- heavy cream
- 2 c
- whole milk
- 1 pkg
- semisweet chocolate morsels (1 pound)
- 6 large
- 1 1/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 2/3 c
- chopped pecans
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar for garnish
How to Make Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a shallow 4-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. Put the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- 2In a large saucepan, bring cream and milk just to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and gradually add chocolate, stirring until melted and mixture is smooth. Pour mixture over bread and stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Stir in pecans and salt. Pour over bread and stir gently to combine.
- 4Transfer bread mixture to prepared casserole. Smooth evenly with back of a spoon. Cover with foil and bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until edges are firm but center is still moist. Serve warm with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.