- 3 c
- whole milk, room temperature
- 2 large
- egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 3 large
- ripe bananas
- vanilla wafers
- sweetened whipped cream, for serving
How to Make Banana Pudding
- 1In a heavy saucepan, place the milk over medium heat until it begins to simmer, then turn the heat down to low.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla until the mixture is creamy.
- 3With a teaspoon, add a little of the warm milk to the egg yolks to ensure the yolks don't curdle.
- 4Then add the yolk mixture to the pan of warm milk, stirring over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- 5Stir in the butter until melted and remove the mixture from the heat.
- 6Slicing as you go, cover the bottom of a casserole dish with the bananas.
- 7Pour the pudding mixture over the bananas and top with the vanilla wafers.
- 8Refrigerate overnight before serving with a dollop of whipped cream.