3 cwhole milk, room temperature
2 largeegg yolks, room temperature
1/4 tspsea salt
2 tsppure vanilla extract
2 Tbspunsalted butter
3 largeripe bananas
·sweetened whipped cream, for serving
How to Make Banana Pudding
- In a heavy saucepan, place the milk over medium heat until it begins to simmer, then turn the heat down to low.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla until the mixture is creamy.
- With a teaspoon, add a little of the warm milk to the egg yolks to ensure the yolks don't curdle.
- Then add the yolk mixture to the pan of warm milk, stirring over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the butter until melted and remove the mixture from the heat.
- Slicing as you go, cover the bottom of a casserole dish with the bananas.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the bananas and top with the vanilla wafers.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving with a dollop of whipped cream.