Amaretto Napoleons on Cherry Sauce
1/4 call purpose flour
14 ozsweetened condensed milk
2-1/2 cwhole milk
2 tspvanilla extract
1/4 camaretto (or 1 tsp. almond extract and 1/4 cup additional milk
1 can(s)cherry pie filling (21 ounces)
1/2 cfrozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed
1sheet of puffed pastry, thawed
·powdered sugar, if desired
How to Make Amaretto Napoleons on Cherry Sauce
- For the filling, combine sugar, flour, and salt in a heavy sauce pan.
- Stir together the two milks and egg yolks. Whisk into dry ingredients in pan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and amaretto (or almond extract and additional milk).
- Pour into a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the pudding so a film will not develop on the top. Cool to room temperature. Chill in refrigerator until serving time.
- For the cherry sauce, combine the cherry pie filling with 1/2 cup of thawed cranberry juice concentrate in a bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Thaw puffed pastry for 20 minutes. While thawing, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once thawed, cut pastry into 3 strips along the fold lines. Cut each strip into 4 equal pieces crosswise. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake approximately 12 to 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. (Dark baking sheets may cook faster, so just keep an eye on it). When it's puffed high and golden brown, it's done!
- Remove to a wire rack. While still warm, split each puff horizontally into two layers. Cool completely and store loosely covered.
- When ready to serve, place bottom half of each pastry, cut side up, on individual serving plates.
- Spoon generous amount of filling onto pastry, allowing some to come out onto plate. Top with top half of pastries, cut side down.
- Spoon some cherry sauce around the pastry. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. ENJOY!