My Favorite Flaky Butter Pie Crust Recipe
How to Make My Favorite Flaky Butter Pie Crust Recipe
- Makes a double crust:
Get a measuring cup fill with ice. Add cold water. Set cup aside.
- Cut sticks of butter in half length wise. Turn over and cut in half again. You will have four pieces. Cut again width wise several times. You will have a little cubes of butter.
- In a bowl Whisk the flour and salt together. Place mixture in a food processor.
- Add butter to flour and pulse or blend until Butter is well incorporated. It should look like course crumbs.
- Add 2 TB ice water to flour butter mixture. Pulse well. Add more water as needed by 1 tablespoon at a time. You will not be using all of the water. You will be using just enough to make the crust form a ball. (Do not add ice from water)
- Turn food processor back on and pulse until it looks like it is beginning to form a ball. Remove from processor. The dough should easily form in to a pliable dough.
- Divide dough in half,and flatten in to 2 disc's. Wrap well with plastic wrap. Place disc's in refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours. You may make the night before using. You may also freeze until ready to use. Roll dough out on floured surface until 11 inch circle is formed. Place in pie pan,and trim edges. Repeat for a top crust if needed. Makes enough for 1 bottom and 1 top, or 2 shells.
- Note: before filling Crust. Beat an egg white. Brush bottom crust with egg white. This will prevent crust from getting soggy.