- envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/8 c
- 4 large
- egg yolks, reserve whites
- 1/2 c
- lemon juice, fresh
- 1 c
- granulated sugar, divided in half
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- grated lemon zest
- 4 large
- egg whites (reserved from above)
How to Make MOTHER'S LEMON CHIFFON PIE (SALLYE)
- 1Add gelatin to water and stir to mix. Set aside to allow gelatin to dissolve (5 or so minutes)
Place water in bottom of double boiler and place on medium high heat to boil. Once it begins to boil turn heat down until water is just simmering.
NOTE: If you don't have a double boiler place water in a heavy skillet (cast iron is best)
- 2Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/2 cup sugar into whites while beating. Set aside.
- 3Bake pastry shell in 325º oven until light brown (about 10 minutes)
- 4Place egg yolks in top of double boiler and whisk until thick and lemon colored
NOTE: If you don't have a double boiler, place eggs in a heavy saucepan
- 5Add 1/2 cup sugar and salt to eggs and continue whisking until well blended
- 6Add lemon juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk until well blended.
- 7Place double boiler top (or saucepan) with egg mixture over simmering water and cook until smooth and like a custard .
- 8Remove from heat and fold in gelatine mixture and allow to cool
- 9When cool, fold in beaten egg whites and sugar mixture. Pour into baked pastry shell and place in fridge to chill.
- 10May be served with whipped cream as a topping.