Green Tomato Mincemeat
I have made this recipe for canning and I have used the mincemeat in my posted pie recipe. It is very good and taste just like store bought mincemeat, only better. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
6 lbgreen tomatoes
2 lbtart apples
4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 cstrong coffee
1lemon (zested and juiced)
2 tspfresh orange zest
1/2 capple cider vinegar
How to Make Green Tomato Mincemeat
- Core and quarter the green tomatoes and apples. Put them into a food processor along with the raisins and pulse, just until chopped.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepot. Can also use an electirc roaster, it does not need to be watched as much). Simmer for at least 2 hours or ntil it has reduced about half. Stir frequently.
- Pack at once in hot pint or quart jars. Adjust lids.
- Process in a hot boiling (212 F)water bath canner for 25 to 30 minutes for pint jars or 45-50 minutes for quart jars.
- Remove the jars from canner. Allow to cool completely and store.
- Depending on how many tomatoes or apples you are using, this recipe has made up to 5 quarts per batch. It really varies.
To make a mincmet pie you will need about 4 cups of homemade mincemeat to an 8 inch or a small 9 inch pie.