Coconut Custard Pie
- 4 large
- eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 tsp
- coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- half and half
- 1/2 c
- coconut milk
- 1 c
- sweetened, flaked coconut, divided
- 9-inch deep dish pie crust, unbaked
How to Make Coconut Custard Pie
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the unbaked pie crust on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch and add to the beaten eggs. Mix well to combine. Add the vanilla extract, coconut extract and salt. Mix well.
- 3In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the half and half and the coconut milk. Cook on HI for 1-2 minutes, or just until scalded.
- 4GRADUALLY add the scalded milk to the egg mixture, mixing briskly as you pour (so you don't scramble the eggs).
- 5Add 3/4 cup of the coconut to the egg mixture and mix well.
- 6Place the cookie sheet with the pie crust in the oven with rack in the middle position. Carefully pour filling into the pie crust. Sprinkle remaining coconut evenly over top. Carefully slide rack back into oven.
- 7Bake for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and knife inserted comes out clean. (If crust starts to brown too quickly, cover only crust with aluminum foil.