Caramel Topped Apple Pie
1pastry for double-crust pie
3 Tbspall-purpose flour
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cbrown sugar, packed
1 tspground cinnamon
6 largebaking apples, cored and sliced (gala or granny smith)
How to Make Caramel Topped Apple Pie
- Press bottom crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Place pie pan on foil-lined baking sheet (to catch spills during baking); set aside.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a saucepan, bring butter, flour, water, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn off heat; set pan aside.
- Place top crust on cutting board. Using a pizza cutter, cut crust into 8 strips.
- Place apples in the bottom crust, slightly mounded in the center. Cover apples with the cut dough strips, with four strips across and four strips vertical, weaving them in a lattice pattern if you wish.
- Fold edges of bottom crust over the lattice edges to seal, then crimp (or pinch) edges of crust, making a scalloped edge on pie crust.
- Spoon caramel sauce evenly over top crust, being sure to completely cover the top crust with caramel sauce.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, to start caramelizing. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Let cool completely before slicing.