Buttermilk Pie with Pecan Crust
- 1 c
- all-purpose flour "spooned into cup and leveled off)
- 1/3 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 large
- 1-1/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 3 large
- 1-1/3 c
- 1 tsp
- grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly grated nutmet
How to Make Buttermilk Pie with Pecan Crust
- 1CRUST: In a food processor, combine the flour, pecans, sugar, and salt .. and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. (NOTE: I ground the pecans first and just added them to the other ingredients, using a large bowl to mix.)
- 2Add butter and egg and mix/pulse until the dough holds together when pinched but does not form a ball. Pat into a flat disk and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 day). (Dough can be well-wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month)
- 3On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12" round. Place into a pie dish, and press against the sides. Trim the excess from the rim to 1" and fold under and crimp edges. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before baking (so crust does not shrink in baking).
- 4Preheat oven to 400.
Line the pie shell with foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang ... fill with weighs/dried beans to weight the crust down.
Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and weights and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.
Remove the shell from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 325.
In a food processor (I used another bowl), combine the sugar and cornstarch. Pulse/mix until combined.
Add the eggs, butter, buttermilk, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Process/mix until combined.
- 6Pour the mixture into the warm pie shell.
Bake for 55 minutes-1 hour, or until the filling is set and just slightly wobbly in the center.
Let cool on a wire rack.
Serve at room temperature or chilled. Garnish with extra pecans, if you like.