Banana Pudding Pie
1/3 call purpose flour
2 largewhole eggs
4 largeegg yolks
2 tsppure vanilla extract
VANILLA WAFER CRUST
2-1/2 cvanilla wafer crumbs (about 30 wafers)
1 stickbutter, melted
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
1 cheavy cream, cold
1/4 cpowdered sugar
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Banana Pudding Pie
- PUDDING: Whisk together sugar, flour, whole eggs, yolks and milk in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 10-12 minutes or until it reaches the thickness of chilled pudding. It must be very thick to set up properly. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly on top of the pudding so that it doesn't get a skin on top of it. Refrigerate until completely cooled. While the pudding is chilling, prepare the crust.
- CRUST: In a medium bowl, stir together crushed vanilla wafers and butter until blended. Firmly press on bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- TOPPING: Once both the pudding and crust are prepared and cooled, make the topping. In a medium bowl, whip cream on medium high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat to stiff peaks. Be careful not to over beat to avoid making butter!
- ASSEMBLY: Arrange half of the banana slices evenly over bottom of cooled crust. Spread 1/3 of cooled pudding over bananas.
- Layer pudding layer with 20 vanilla wafers. Spread 1/3 more pudding over vanilla wafers.
- Add the remainder of the banana slices over pudding layer. Top with the last 1/3 of the pudding.
- Top the pie with a generous layer of whipped topping!