Tec Voc's Creamy Butter tarts
Tec Voc is the High School I attended. Syd Chapman was the Chef in the school cafeteria kitchen at that time. This is where we learned how to make these scruptious butter tarts in Mr. Chapman's cooking class.
This recipe comes from the 40th anniversary "Tec-Voc Bakery" recipe book.
I know you will love these wonderful butter tarts if you give them a try.
·4 cups pastry flour
·11/3 cups shortening
·3/4 cup sugar
·1/4 tsp milk powder (can be omitted )
·1/4 tsp baking powder
·1/4 tsp salt
·3/4 cup cold water
·butter tart filling:
·4 cups brown sugar
·1 cup shortening (or butter)
·2/3 cup flour
·1/2 tsp salt (omit salt if using butter)
·1 tsp vanilla
·2 cups of currants
How to Make Tec Voc's Creamy Butter tarts
Preheat oven to 400F (205C)
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add shortening OR butter. Mix until crumbly.
- Make a well in the crumb mixture, add water and egg and mix until doughy.
- DO NOT OVERMIX
Roll out dough and cut into 4 inch rounds. Place rounds in a prepared standard muffin pan
BUTTER TART FILLING
- Cream sugar and shortening OR butter
- Blend in flour and salt
- Add eggs, vanilla and currants all at once until blended together
- DO NOT OVER MIX
- Fill unbaked tart shells 3/4 full in a standard muffin pan and place on a cookie sheet for easier clean up
- Bake for 15 minutes
- For nice gooey (runny) tarts: Watch the tarts so that the filling is puffed but still jiggly in the middle when you remove them from the oven. (it will thicken as it cools)
(This Information for gooeyer butter tarts comes from the Wpg.Free Press Recipe Swap's Alison Gillmor)
You'll not be sorry these are really delicous