- extra large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar increase to 1/2 if air temperature is humid
- 1 dash(es)
- kosher salt
- 1 1.2 c
- granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- squares of bittersweet or semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c
- toasted blanched almonds(optional)
How to Make Meringues
- 11. Preheat oven to 200*F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 22. Use an electric or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and a large pinch of salt on medium speed until frothy. Add 1 cup of sugar and raise the speed to high until eggs form very stiff peaks. Whisk in the vanilla and fold in the remaining sugar.
- 33. Take large spoon and drop large 3" circle of mixture, press down center to form a well. Bake for 2 hours or until the meringues are dry and crisp but not browned. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to sit in the oven for 4 hours or overnight.
- 4Chocolate Sauce
- 5Pour condensed milk and chocolate into a double boiler with the water boiling. This can be done in a saucepan just watch is carefully. If desired add 1/2 cup of toasted, blanched almonds if desired. This may be store and reconstituted with a few tablespoons of water over low heat.