Classic Cream Puffs
pinched from Ziplist.com
see Sunset Magazine
How to Make Classic Cream Puffs
- 1In a 3-4 quart pan, combine 1 cup water, butter, and the sugar if using; bring to a boil over high heat. Add flour all at once and stir quickly until mixture pulls away from pan sides and masses together.
- 2Remove from heat and stir until flour is incorporated and mixture is smooth. Let cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3To mix by hand, add eggs, one at a time, to warm butter-flour mixture in pan, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until dough is smooth and satiny.
To mix with an electric mixer or food processor, scrape warm butter-flour mixture into a bowl.
- 4Add eggs, one at a time, beating or whirling after each addition just until smooth; do not overmix.
- 5Spoon Cream Puff Dough into 10 equal puffs are golden, 25-35 minutes; if baking the sheets at the same time in one oven, switch their positions halfway through.
- 6With a wooden skewer, poke each puff in several places, then continue baking until golden brown, dry, and crisp, 5-8 minutes longer.
- 7Transfer puffs to racks to cool completely.
- 83. Slice the top third off each puff. Fill each bottom with 1/2 cup of one of the following:
ice cream, chocolate orange cream, lightly sweetened whipped cream flavored with vanilla or a liqueur. Cover with tops, and drizzle each puff with 2-3 teaspoons chocolate chocolate ice cream topping or sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
- 9Note: You can make the puffs (through step 2) up to 12 hours ahead; wrap airtight and store at room temperature. Freeze to store longer. To use, place puffs (thawed, if frozen ) slightly apart on a 12- by 15 " baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven until crisp, 5-8 minutes.