·2 cups all purpose flour
·1 teaspoon salt
·1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
·½ cup iced water
·2 gala apples, peeled cored, sliced, and chopped
·½ cup granulated sugar
·1 tablespoon cornstarch
·¼ teaspoon cinnamon
·1 teaspoon lemon juice
·1 tablespoon water
·½ cup confectioners’ sugar
·1 tablespoon water
·1/8 teaspoon vanilla, optional
How to Make Apple Turnovers
- In a medium bowlcombine the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in ½ cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with ice water; mix well. Shape dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into an 18”x8” rectangle.
- Cut ¼ cup butter into pieces or slices.
- Turn the dough a quarter of a turn, and remember to do this each time before rolling out to 18”x8”. (Rolling the dough from the 6-inch end). Using a rolling pin, carefully roll the dough into an 18’x8” rectangle again.
- Slice remaining ¼ cup butter. Place slices of butter on dough and fold as before.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll dough out into an 18”x8” rectangle again. Fold lengthwise then crosswise. Wrap the dough and chill for 1 hour.
- Prepare filling: In a saucepan, stir together the apples, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until apples are tender. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut dough crosswise into half.
- Roll ½ of the dough into 12-inch squares. (Keep the Rest Chilled!) Cut the dough into four, 6-inch squares.
- Egg Wash: In a small bowl beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Brush 2 sides of each square with the egg wash for best seal.
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of apple mixture in the center of each square. Fold in triangle shapes, and press edges to seal.
- When ready to bake, brush all the turnovers with the egg mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack; glaze.