HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM (SALLYE)
Best if made in an old-timey hand crank ice cream maker, but an electric one will work.
- 6 large
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- flour (optional)
- 1 pt
- whipping cream
- 1 qt
- half and half
- homogenized milk
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
How to Make HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM (SALLYE)
- 1Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form; set aside
- 2In large mixing bowl, lightly whisk eggs until fluffy (best if done by hand and not electric mixer)
Add sugar, salt and flour (flour is optional if you like a more custard like dish) to eggs and blend well with wooden spoon
Fold in whipping cream with wooden spoon
Add half and half and vanilla to mixture
Transfer to ice cream maker cannister
- 3Pour in enough homogenized milk, stirring with wooden spoon, until cannister is 3/4 full.
NOTE: Don't overfill or it will run over as it freezes.
- 4Follow ice cream maker's instructions for packing salt and ice around cannister.
Activate ice cream maker and make sure you keep plenty of ice packed around cannister.
Turn until ice cream is frozen and paddle will no longer turn.
If you use a hand-cranker, make sure you have kids available to sit on it while turning (a little reminiscent joke)
- 5OPTIONS: You can chop up any kind of fresh fruit desired in your food processor and add to the ice cream mix as you are adding the homo milk. Fresh peaches or strawberries work great.
- 6ENJOY THIS BLAST FROM THE PAST.