How to Make Gelato
- 1In a saucepan, mix milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around edges. Remove from heat.
- 2In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until fluffy, gradually pour the warm milk into the eggs and sugar, whisking constantly.
- 3Return to saucepan, cook over medium heat until mixture gels and coats the back of a spoon. If small egg lumps form remove from heat immediately.
- 4Pour mixture through strainer, chill thoroughly, preferably overnite.
- 5Pour chilled mixture in ice cream freezer, and freeze 25-30 minutes. If not set enough, transfer to a sealed carton and freeze till firm.