How to Make Gelato
- In a saucepan, mix milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until fluffy, gradually pour the warm milk into the eggs and sugar, whisking constantly.
- Return to saucepan, cook over medium heat until mixture gels and coats the back of a spoon. If small egg lumps form remove from heat immediately.
- Pour mixture through strainer, chill thoroughly, preferably overnite.
- Pour chilled mixture in ice cream freezer, and freeze 25-30 minutes. If not set enough, transfer to a sealed carton and freeze till firm.