Strawberries with Spanish Sherry
2 cfresh strawberries, washed and hulled (if small keep whole or cut larger strawberries in half)
1small cinnamon stick
1"vanilla bean, split or about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste or vanilla extract
2 Tbspspanish sherry vinegar or fino sherry, to taste (not cooking sherry!)
1 tsporange zest, finely grated (original recipe specifies lemon zest)
2 cwhole milk plain yogurt, drained
1/2 tsprosewater, to taste
·orange zest, for garnish
How to Make Strawberries with Spanish Sherry
- Set the washed strawberries [singly] in a non-reactive serving bowl.
- Place the water and sugar in a pot; add the cloves, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean (note: if using vanilla paste or extract see Step #4).
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then boil for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add the Spanish sherry vinegar, bring back to a boil and boil another 1 minute.
- Move the simple syrup off the burner and stir in the orange zest and if using vanilla paste or extract add it, too. Let the flavors infuse for about 10 minutes then taste test. I liked the flavor best sweet with subtle acidity from the Sherry vinegar.
- Pour the simply syrup over the strawberries so that the *syrup covers most of the fruit. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
*You will probably have extra simple syrup which can be used in lemonade, mixed with club soda, stirred into iced tea, etc.
- Stir the rosewater into the plain yogurt. Just before serving spoon the yogurt into individual dessert dishes. Spoon some of the infused strawberries and a little bit of the syrup over the yogurt. Garnish with orange zest.