Hope you enjoy it.
8trifle sponges, cut in half, horizontally
100 gapricot jam
4 Tbspmedium sherry
385 gcan fruit cocktail drained, but syrup reserved.
2 Tbspcaster sugar
600 ml(1 pint) milk
1 tspvanilla flavouring
300 ml(12 pint) whipping or double cream
·red glace cherries, halved
·a little angelica, to finish.
How to Make SHERRY TRIFLE
- Spread the trifle sponges with jam, then sandwich together again. Cut each across in half & place them around the bottom of a glass serving dish.
- Add the sherry to the reserved syrup & pour over the sponges. Scatter the fruit cocktail over the top.
- Whisk the eggs & sugar together in a large bowl. Heat the milk in a small pan until almost boiling, then add the egg & sugar mixture, whisking continuously.
- Strain the mixture into a heavy-based pan -(see note:1)- & cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon -
N.B. keep the heat low or the custard will go lumpy.
Remove from the heat & stir in the vanilla. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the custard over the fruit & sponges & leave to cool completely. Cover & refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours or overnight.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peeks. Spread 1/3 over the custard. Use the remaining cream with the cherries & angelica to decorate the trifle. Serve at once or cover & refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Enjoy.
1)A heavy based pan will stop the custard from overheating & the eggs from scrambling.
2)If your not sure about making the egg custard, mix 1 tsp cornflour with the caster sugar, then whisk into the eggs.