Grandma's Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 1/2
- recipe pastry for double crust pie (my recipe follows)
- 3 lb
- johnathon apples, quartered
- 1/2 c
- real butter
- 1 1/2 c
- light brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- apple pie spice
- 4 c
- apple cider
- 1 c
- 4 Tbsp
- white karo syrup
How to Make Grandma's Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
- 2Butter 2-9x13 inch pans. I use a large (14") round cake pan.
- 3Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice and set aside.
- 4Prepare pie crust. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large rectangle.
- 5Peel and cut apples into quarters or halves if you prefer a larger piece of apple.
- 6Cut pastry into squares large enough to wrap each individual apple quarter or half.
- 7Place one apple quarter or half in center of one of the pastry cut sections. Add 1 Tablespoon of the brown sugar mixture and 1 teaspoon butter.
- 8With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry square up to the top of the apple, then bring the opposite corner to the top and press together. Bring up the two remaining corners and seal. Slightly pinch the dough at the sides to completely seal in the apple. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place in prepared baking dish. Dumplings can be frozen at this point.
- 9In a saucepan, combine apple cider, water, and white corn syrup. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Carefully pour over dumplings.
- 10Bake in a preheated oven 50-60 minutes. In my oven, I bake for 60 minutes. The crust needs to be slightly golden in color. Place in dessert dishes with some sauce spooned over the top and a scoop of ice cream if you like.
- 11TO MAKE PASTRY:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons solid Crisco Shortening
12 Tablespoons (3/4 cup) of ice water
1 teaspoon of salt
- 12Add flour and salt together. Cut Crisco into flour until crumbly. Add ice water and stir until combined.
- 13Turn pastry dough out onto slightly floured board. Knead about 3 turns and sprinkle lightly with flour. Roll out dough into large rectangle.