German Apple Dumplings
I was just taking these out of the oven one time when the FedEx guy came to the door...he sniffed the air and said, "Oh, something sure smells good." Long story short; he came in, sat down and had two with a big scoop of ice cream. Now, 8 years later, he often takes his breaks at my kitchen table.
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon or apple pie spice for sprinkling on top
- 1 can mountain dew
How to Make German Apple Dumplings
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- 2Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in buttered pan.
- 3Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples.
- 4Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle dumplings with cinnamon or apple pie spice, and bake for 40 minutes. You definitely want them crispy on top to counteract the sweet, gooey, juicy bottom.
- 5Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Spoon some of the sweet sauce from the pan over the top.