Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
1 cupquick cooking oats
1 cupbrown sugar (packed)
1 cupall-purpose flour
1/8 tsp.teaspoon salt
1 stickcold butter, cut into pieces
4 cupsfresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cupgranulated sugar
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1/4 tsp.almond extract
1 (21 oz.)can cherry pie filling
1/2 cupchopped pecans
·vanilla ice cream, serve with warm crisp
·reddi wip (or) cool whip whipped topping, serve with refrigerated leftover cold crisp
How to Make Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
- To make the crust: In a bowl mix together, the oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, and salt.
- Cut in the pieces of butter, with either a fork or pastry blender, until mixture becomes crumbly (like a streusel topping).
- Press half of the crumb mixture into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. (I probably added 2/3's of the crumb mixture.)
- To make the filling: In a large saucepan (I used a 3-quart saucepan), add the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and water. Stir until blended, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stirring continuously, and until the mixture thickens. The mixture should thicken within 3 minutes. (At least mine did.)
- Once the mixture has thickened, thoroughly stir in the extracts and pie filling.
- Now spread the rhubarb over the crust, then spoon the cooked pie filling on top, and sprinkle on the remaining crumb mixture.
- Lastly, top the crumb mixture with the chopped pecans.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 45-55 minutes. (I baked mine for 55 minutes.)
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. (Refrigerate any leftovers.)
- Enjoy refrigerated leftovers with either Reddi Wip, or Cool Whip Whipped Topping.