- 1 c
- butter (2 sticks)
- 3/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 c
- coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 large
- 1-1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 pinch
How to Make PRALINE-BUTTERSCOTCH BARS (SALLYE)
- 1Preheat overn to 350º F
Place 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter in microwave safe bowl and zap for 30 seconds or until butter melts
With pastry brush, spread melted butter over bottom and sides of dish until evenly covered.
Sprinkle butter evenly with 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the pecans.
- 2In large mixing bowl, cream together the remaining 3/4 cups of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one a time, continuing to beat well after each addition, until well blended.
With wooden spoon, stir in the vanilla extract
- 3Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then add this to butter and egg mixture.
Stir with wooden spoon until well blended
- 4Spoon the batter onto the pecans and brown sugar in the prepared baking dish, placing dollops here and there.
Then very gently spread it, using a rubber spatula or a plain dinner knife.
Take care not to dislodge the pecan mixture too much.
The batter will seem sparse and it may not reach all the way to the edges of the dish, but just do the best job possible.
It will expand properly and even itself out during baking.
- 5Place in preheated oven, bake 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool to room temperature before cutting into bars.
When placing on serving dish, invert each bar so that the crunchy praline coating is on top.