Polvorones (Mexican Wedding Cookies)
How to Make Polvorones (Mexican Wedding Cookies)
- Process pecans until ground but not "pasty."
- Beat butter and 1/2 C. powdered sugar on medium until fluffy, scraping down once.
- Gradually add 1 C. flour, vanilla and salt. Beat on low until well blended, scraping down once.
- Fold in remaining flour and ground nuts with spoon until just blended. Careful not to over-stir.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until pale golden brown. Let cookies stand on sheet 2 minutes.
- Place 1 C. powdered sugar in serving dish. Transfer hot cookies to dish (easiest to do one at a time) and roll to coat evenly. Let cookies cool in sugar.
- Sift more sugar over platter of cookies just before serving.