Orange Butter Cookies
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Orange zest adds a nice zing to these butter cookies. And, the orange icing tops them off perfectly. A lovely addition to your holiday cookie tray! The Test Kitchen
- 1 whole
- zest of one valencia orange
- 2 stick
- sweet cream butter - no salt
- 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- 3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- valencia orange juice
- 1 or 2 c
- powdered sugar
How to Make Orange Butter Cookies
- 1Preheat oven 340 convection bake (use higher temp for regular bake)
- 2Mix together butter, 1/2 cup sugar and orange zest, reserving orange for juice later in recipe, then eggs and vanilla. Scrape bowl and mix briefly. Add flour until just mixed, turn out on counter and knead once or twice to make sure it has come together in a cohesive mass.
- 3Divide dough into thirds. Put dough in plastic bag. Use one third at a time and roll out to about 1/4 inch. Use cookie cutters and cut into your favorite shapes.
- 4Bake 340 convection bake for 10 minutes (will take longer on regular bake also use 350 for regular bake). Edges should be lightly browned when taken out. Cool on a cookie rack
- 5Make glaze from reserved Valencia orange juice. Start with 2 T of juice and add about a cup of powdered sugar until a thick glaze is formed. Spread glaze on cookies with a butter knife. Let dry overnight. Store in airtight container.