Miniature Caramel TWIX Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
These cookies come together very easily, but do take a little bit of preparation because the frosting needs some time to chill. The caramel is created over the stove-top and then is chilled.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/2 cbutter, at room temperature (not melted)
1 largeegg yolks, (reserve whites for another recipe), at room temperature
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tspalmond extract
1 1/4 call-purpose white flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 cbutter, at room temperature
1 cbrown sugar, lightly packed
5 1/2 Tbspheavy whipping cream, not whipped
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cpowdered sugar
·twix bites, halved (quantity depends on how many sandwiches made)
How to Make Miniature Caramel TWIX Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
- Sugar Cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk (must be a large egg yolk), vanilla, and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry to the wet ingredients.
- If the dough is too wet, add more flour (a tablespoon at a time) until the dough pulls away from the sides.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. (You want these to be slightly under-baked and very soft since it is a cookie sandwich and would be not very pleasant to bite through two hard cookies.)
- Remove the cookies from the oven, transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add in the brown sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Slowly add in the heavy whipping cream, stirring constantly.
- Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla.
- Raise the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a soft boil.
- Allow it to lightly boil, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a dish.
- Place in the fridge and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes or until completely chilled through.
- Pour the cooled caramel sauce (it thickens as it cools) into a large bowl.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until the frosting is thick to your desired preference. (You can add in more, or use less powdered sugar, but you will want it thick to pipe on the cookies).
- Fit a frosting bag with a star tip and fill with frosting.
- Pipe the frosting on a cooled sugar cookie and top with another sugar cookie.
- Pipe a little bit more frosting on the top of the cookie and place a halved TWIX bite.