- 8 oz
- package semisweet baking chocolate, divided
- 2 1/4 c
- whole almonds, divided
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- egg whites (use large - extra large eggs)
How to Make Mexican Chocolate Macaroons
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease baking sheets; set aside.
- 2Place 5 squares chocolate in food processor; process until coarsely chopped. Add 1 3/4 cups almonds and the sugar; process using on/off pulsing action until mixture is finely ground. Add cinnamon, vanilla, egg whites; process just until mixture forms a moist dough.
- 3Form dough into 1-inch balls (dough will be sticky). Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press 1 almond on top of each cookie.
- 4Bake 8-10 minutes or just until set. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove cookies to wire racks. Cool completly.
- 5Heat remaining 3 squares of chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat until melted. Spoon chocolate into a small resealable plastic food storage bag. Cut small corner off bottom of bag with scissors. Drizzle chocolate over cookies.
- 6For long-term storage, allow cookies to stand until chocolate drizzle has hardened. Store in airtight containers.