How to Make MAMA'S LITTLE BABY LOVES SHORT'NIN' BREAD (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
Set out 2 large cookie sheets
Lay butter out to soften
Cut 2 large pieces of parchment and have ready to place on the counter
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl
Press the brown sugar through a sieve into the bowl with flour. This will remove lumps.
Blend thoroughly with whisk or wooden spoon.
- NOTE: TO MAKE PECAN SANDIES, JUST ADD 1 CUP FINELY MINCED PECANS TO THE FLOUR/SUGAR MIX BEFORE YOU ADD THE BUTTER.
- Add softened butter to flour/sugar mixture and blend with wooden spoon until you have a smooth dough
Lightly flour the parchment paper and turn dough out on to it.
Lay another piece of slightly floured parchment paper over the top of the dough.
Gently press with hands to smooth out the dough into a rectangle about 1/4 to 1/2" thick.
Note: If desired, for easier handling, you can put dough in fridge to chill for about 30 minutes before turning out onto paper.
- When dough is pressed out smooth and even, you can cut pieces with a biscuit cutter or use your holiday/fun cookie cutters to make special shapes.
Lay each piece on a cookie sheet about 1" apart.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for about 25 minutes, until delicately browned.
Remove pans from oven and leave cookies on cookie sheets for about 5-10 minutes to cool and firm up.
You can then transfer them to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before placing in a storage container.