Hungarian Cookie Treasures
- 8 oz
- cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb
- real butter, softened (no substitutes here)
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 5 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 c
- jam or preserves of your choice -- or you can optionally use a nut filling
- 1 c
- powdered sugar, for dusting
How to Make Hungarian Cookie Treasures
- 1With using a stand mixer, add the cream cheese, softened butter, and the 1 cup of granulated sugar. Mix on medium speed until well blended.
- 2Add the flour a cup at a time, mixing until evenly incorporated. Remove dough from mixer and press it into a ball. Wrap in plastic and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 3Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 4Sprinkle some powdered sugar on a smooth countertop or pastry board and roll dough out to approx 1/4 inch thick sheets. Cut the dough into 2-inch circles. Reroll excess dough as needed.
- 5Place 1 teaspoonful of jam or preserves in the center of circle. Wet the cookie edges around the jam or preserves with your finger. Then place a second circle over the jam or preserves and firmly press down around the edges to encompass the jam or preserves. Take a fork and go all around the edge to seal jam or preserves in tightly (like you would for a pie crust). Repeat this process until you have used up all the dough.
- 6Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown.
- 7Remove from oven and place onto cookie rack. If desired, dust cookies with powdered sugar.
- 8These cookies keep well in the freezer for long term storage. However, they should be stored in a airtight container in the refrigerator when completely cooled.
- 9Enjoy! :-)