Granny's Sugar Cookies
- 2/3 c
- 1 1/2 c
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 Tbsp
- orange juice (instead of rhind)
- icing, (optional) recipe follows
- sugar topping or sprinkles (optional)
- 2 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp
- light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla or almond extract
- food color, if desired
How to Make Granny's Sugar Cookies
- 1Cream Shortening, sugar, and eggs together until light and foamy.
- 2Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- 3Mix flour mixture with egg mixture; add orange juice.
Mix until smooth. (If mixture is dry add a small amount of cold water to moisten)
- 4Chill then roll and cut with cookie cutters. Bake on a cookie sheet for 5-6 minutes at 350.
- 5FOR THE ICING
- 6Combine powdered sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in small mixer bowl; mix until powdered sugar is moistened.
- 7Beat at medium speed until smooth, adding additional milk if necessary, to reach desired glazing consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.