Grandma's Fruit Bars
The aroma is almost Christmas-like because of the cinnamon and cloves. The bars are sweet and spicy and the topping of a light confectioners icing is a nice touch. I think this would also be delicious served with whipped cream. I would take this to a potluck or even a bake sale!
- 2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 c
- shortening, butter flavor
- 3 c
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- walnut pieces
- 2 large
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
How to Make Grandma's Fruit Bars
- 1Add baking soda to hot coffee. Set aside.
Using a regular size cookie sheet, spray with Pam baking spray.
- 2Cream sugar, shortening and eggs.
- 3Add dry and liquid ingredients alternately.
- 4Add raisins. You can substitute dates or candied fruit. Add nuts and blend well.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees. Check with toothpick inserted in center. Cool completely. Frost when cool with confectioners frosting.