Grandma's Fruit Bars
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The aroma is almost Christmas-like because of the cinnamon and cloves. The bars are sweet and spicy and the topping of a light confectioners icing is a nice touch. I think this would also be delicious served with whipped cream. I would take this to a potluck or even a bake sale! The Test Kitchen
2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cshortening, butter flavor
1/2 cwalnut pieces
1 tspbaking soda
How to Make Grandma's Fruit Bars
- Add baking soda to hot coffee. Set aside.
Using a regular size cookie sheet, spray with Pam baking spray.
- Cream sugar, shortening and eggs.
- Add dry and liquid ingredients alternately.
- Add raisins. You can substitute dates or candied fruit. Add nuts and blend well.
- Bake at 350 degrees. Check with toothpick inserted in center. Cool completely. Frost when cool with confectioners frosting.