Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
Eating gluten free for 3 years now, I am always searching for the proper texture flavour of REAL food! You know what I mean... This recipe from freerangecookies.com has it all!! My husband believed I'd made them for him & as he enjoyed them, was surprised to see me eat a bun! He really could not tell the difference! Gluten free or not, these are THE BEST hot cross buns I've ever tasted!
PLEASE NOTE: rising & resting dough times not included in prep time & timing may differ for each person.
- 3 1/4 c
- sorghum flour blend [see below]
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 1/4 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tsp
- xanthum gum
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- cardamon, ground
- 3/8 tsp
- each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c
- 3 large
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp
- coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- 1/4 tsp
- instant yeast
- 1 large
- egg whisked with 3 tbl water
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
- 1in a large bowl, combine the 7 dry ingredients (down to and including all spices).
- 2In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the milk eggs, coconut oil or butter and vanilla extract.
- 3Add blended dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix on low speed to blend, scraping down often. Increase speed to medium until smooth and cohesive. Dough will have the consistency of a thick brownie batter and will be stickier than it's gluten counterpart.
- 4Fold in the raisins (add more if desired).
Cover dough and refrigerate overnight. It will rise in the refrigerator so allow room for that.
- 5The following day, remove dough from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- 6Dissolve the 1/4 tsp yeast into a TBL water and stir into the dough.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8" X 8" pans well (even non-stick pans). Drop 9 dough balls into each pan. (a #16 disher works well)
- 8Using a dampened spatula, smooth tops of dough then brush with the egg wash (egg & water mixture). 10 to 15 minutes in a warm room (or a 100 degree oven if you have a 2nd oven) ias all that's needed before baking.
- 9Bake 22 - 24 minutes. Allow to sit in pans for 10 minutes then transfer buns onto a cooling rack to avoid soggy bottoms from excess moisture.
- 10Top with glaze of powdered sugar & milk.
These buns freeze well... if they don't disappear first!
- 11* Sorghum Flour Blend:
Mix 2 parts sorghum flour, 2 parts tapioca flour (also called starch), 1 part potato starch (not flour) and 1 part almond meal into a large container. This blend can be used to replace wheat flour.