Dad's Favorite - DON'T TOUCH! - Lemon Squares
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp
- 8 Tbsp
- (1 stick) of unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and softened
- 7 large
- egg yolks
- 2 large
- 1 c
- plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 c
- fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1/4 c
- grated lemon zest (use the 4 lemons from the juice)
- pinch salt
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp
- heavy cream
How to Make Dad's Favorite - DON'T TOUCH! - Lemon Squares
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, then coat lightly with "Pam". If you are going to serve the squares directly from the pan, there is no need to line with foil.
- 2Process the flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. Sprinkle the 8 tablespoons of butter over the top and pulse until the mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse crumbs, about 8 pulses.
- 3Sprinkle the mixture in the prepared pan and press firmly into an even layer, using your fingers. Bake until the crust starts to brown, about 20 minutes.
- 4While the crust is baking, whisk the yolks, and whole eggs together in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Whisk in the sugar until combined, then whisk in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Add the 4 tablespoons of butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and registers 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- 5Strain the mixture immediately into a nonreactive bowl and stir in the cream. Pour the warm lemon curd over the hot crust (it is important that both the lemon curd and crust are hot - this ensures that the filling cooks through evenly). Bake until the filling is shiny and opaque and the center jiggles slightly when shaken, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 2 hours, before removing the squares from the pan using the foil and cutting into 9 squares (smaller if you like). Dust with powdered sugar before serving.