Coastal Coconut-Key Lime Cookies
1/2 cpowdered sugar
2 call purpose flour
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tspcoconut extract
3/4 ckey lime juice
2egg yolks with whites reserved
3/4 cgranulated sugar
4 ozvanilla or white chocolate chips
How to Make Coastal Coconut-Key Lime Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar.
- Add extracts and mix well.
- Add flour and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Use hands to bring dough together. Using a cookie scoop, scoop portions and roll into balls. Set Aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 egg whites and 2 tsp water.
- In a shallow bowl, add 2 c. flaked coconut.
- Dip each shortbread ball into egg whites and roll in coconut, coating completely.
- Place dough onto parchment lined baking sheets. Using the back of a mellon baller, press an indentation/well in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. As cookies come from the oven, use mellon baller to reform the well, if necessary.
- Cool cookies completely.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine key lime juice, egg yolks, granulated sugar, and cornstarch.
- Whisk until thickened.
- Pour filling into a metal bowl sitting in a bowl filled with ice and whisk constantly until cooled.
- Pour filling into a piping bag and squeezed into the well of baked shortbreads.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave.
- Pour into a small piping bag and drizzle each cookie.