Coastal Coconut-Key Lime Cookies
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp
- coconut extract
- 3/4 c
- key lime juice
- egg yolks with whites reserved
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- 4 oz
- vanilla or white chocolate chips
How to Make Coastal Coconut-Key Lime Cookies
- 1In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar.
- 2Add extracts and mix well.
- 3Add flour and salt. Mix just until combined.
- 4Use hands to bring dough together. Using a cookie scoop, scoop portions and roll into balls. Set Aside.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk together 2 egg whites and 2 tsp water.
- 6In a shallow bowl, add 2 c. flaked coconut.
- 7Dip each shortbread ball into egg whites and roll in coconut, coating completely.
- 8Place dough onto parchment lined baking sheets. Using the back of a mellon baller, press an indentation/well in the middle of each cookie.
- 9Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. As cookies come from the oven, use mellon baller to reform the well, if necessary.
- 10Cool cookies completely.
- 11In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine key lime juice, egg yolks, granulated sugar, and cornstarch.
- 12Whisk until thickened.
- 13Pour filling into a metal bowl sitting in a bowl filled with ice and whisk constantly until cooled.
- 14Pour filling into a piping bag and squeezed into the well of baked shortbreads.
- 15Melt white chocolate in the microwave.
- 16Pour into a small piping bag and drizzle each cookie.