Caramel Cookie Bars from a Cake Mix
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Wow... everyone's going to love these! You taste chocolate, butterscotch and nuts in every bite. Does it get better than that? The layer of caramel and icing top them wonderfully. Super yummy! The Test Kitchen
1 boxyellow cake mix
10 Tbspbutter, unsalted room temp.
1/2 Tbspcaramel flavoring
1 cchocolate chips
1/2 cbutterscotch chips
1 cnuts, chopped
8 ozcaramels, melted
How to Make Caramel Cookie Bars from a Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 325.
Grease a 9 x13 cake pan.
- In a medium bowl cream eggs, butter and caramel flavoring.
- Sift cake mix into a large bowl. Pour liquid over cake mix and stir to moisten. (This will be very thick.) Next stir in candy and nuts.
- Spread over greased cake pan evenly and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While mixture is baking melt caramels in a pan over boiling water. You may need to add a little cream or butter to thin caramel enough to spread. Cover and keep just warm enough to spread.
- Remove cake from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Then pour warm caramel over the top of cake and spread evenly. Allow to cool completely.
- When cake is cool and caramel is set spread frosting over the top of caramel. Decorate as desired or leave plain. Cut into 24 equal pieces.