Photo adapted from Penzey"s
2/3 cdried apricots
1/2 cunsalted butter, softened
1/4 csugar or powdered sugar
1 1/3 cflour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 clight brown sugar, packed
2eggs, well beaten
1/2 cwalnuts, chopped
·powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
How to Make Apricot Bars
- Rinse apricots; cover with 1/2 cup water; cook apricots in water over medium heat for 10 minutes or until softened.
Drain, cool, chop. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually add 1 cup of flour until well blended. Mixture will be crumbly.
Press into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until blended.
- In an another bowl, whisk together the baking powder, salt and the remaining 1/3 cup of flour, then gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the apricots and nuts, before pouring this mixture over the crust.
- Bake 30 minutes or until set, then cool on wire rack.
When cooled, if desired, dust with powdered sugar then cut into bars.
Store any leftover bars in the refrigerator.