Apple Pie Bars
Recipe and photo from Land O Lakes.
1egg (yolk only)
1 ccold butter, cut into chunks
1 ccrushed corn flakes
8-10medium tart cooking apples, peeled, sliced
1 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Apple Pie Bars
- Beat yolk in bowl. Add 1/2 cup milk; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in egg yolk mixture with fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half.
- Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface into a 15 X 10 inch rectangle; place onto bottom of ungreased 15 X 10 inch baking pan.
Sprinkle with corn flakes; top with apples.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl.
Sprinkle over apples.
Roll remaining half of dough into 15 1/2 X 10 1/2inch rectangle; place over apples.
- Beat reserved egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust.
Combine remaining 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tbsp. sugar in bowl; sprinkle over crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in bowl.
Drizzle over warm bars.
- If pastry dough does not form a ball easily, add up to 1 tbsp. additional milk, 1 tsp. at a time.
- To transfer pastry to baking pan, fold pastry in half; fold in half again. Place folded corner at center of pan. Unfold pastry carefully.
- Top pastry should be rolled on lightly floured surface slightly larger than bottom pastry to allow pastry to cover filling easily.