How to Make Almond Cookies
- 1Beat shortening and sugar in a large bowl with and electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- 2Beat in egg and almond extract until well combined.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Gradually add to shortening mixture, beating well until well combined. Shape dough into ball and wrap in waxed paper. Chill at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- 4Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 5Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with fingertips. Gently press one whole almond or a few almond slices into each cookie.
- 6Bake 11-13 minutes or until cookies are set and slightly browned around the bottom edges. Cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- 7Makes about 4 dozen